When it comes to sweets, I’m a chocolate person. Most days, a square or two of dark chocolate is what I’m craving, but sometimes I need melty chocolate to feel satisfied after dinner. You know, the cookie or brownie type of melty chocolate. But, when those cravings hit, I rarely want to take the time and energy to make a batch of cookies from scratch, so this 4-ingredient oatmeal chocolate chip cookie in a mug was born.
3 Minutes + 4 Ingredients = Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
As much as I love baking, and these scratch vegan cookies are super easy, taking the time to bake something from scratch (and then cleaning up from it) isn’t usually on the agenda. Plus, I rarely need a dozen cookies for 2 people and a 16 month old. So, the microwave sounded like a reasonable way to get a melty oatmeal chocolate chip cookie done.
I set out to mix the simplest ingredients to make this all feasible, too. Since I almost always have oats, bananas, chocolate chips, and vanilla on hand, these are easy to make spontaneously. After playing around with quantity countless times, I present you with four oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in under 3 minutes. I’ll also have a peanut butter and brownie version to publish sometime in the future, too. You’re welcome.
- This oatmeal chocolate chip cookie in a mug is delicious and certainly delivers on flavor and melty chocolate, but if you’re looking for the cookie texture from what grandma served right out of the oven, you’ll probably still want to bake from scratch and freeze the dough for later if you only want a few cookies.
- I like to sprinkle some Maldon salt on top after they’re “baked”.
- I recommend using fair trade or direct trade chocolate. Many people do not realize that commercial chocolate brands produce products dependent upon slave workers in Africa. I like Pascha for chips and often chop up an Alter Eco or Tony’s Chocoloney bar. For mini chocolate chips, I enjoy Lily’s. Whole Foods and Sprouts have options in the bulk area, too.
- The baking soda fluffs it up a bit and I totally prefer them that way. But some nights just feel super lazy and I’m not going to reach into the baking cabinet or take the time to evenly mix it in.
- To keep to your oatmeal chocolate chip mug cookies vegan, be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips, and as long as your oats are certified gluten-free then these are celiac friendly too!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
- 1 medium mashed banana (about ½ cup)
- ¾ cup quick oats
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- ⅛ tsp baking soda optional
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients, except for chocolate chips, well. Next, gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray the bottom of 3-4 mugs (depending on the size of the bottom) with non stick cooking spray, or grease with coconut oil or a vegan buttery spread.
- Microwave one mug for 45 seconds, or two for 60 seconds. Time may vary by 5-15 seconds depending on power of your microwave.
- Grab a spoon or fork to eat straight out of the mug, or use a flexible rubber spatula to carefully remove from the mug.