I’m finally getting into a groove balancing being a new Mom, working, and making yummy meals (like this tempeh sandwich!). So much so that I’ve got normal blogging, Facebook lives and newsletters on the schedule! There’s so many recipes and thoughts I have to share and I’m excited to finally have the time to!
My Favorite Tempeh Sandwich Flavor Combo: Buffalo & Chive
So let’s get right to it! I’ve been experimenting with a breaded buffalo tempeh and just can’t seem to perfect it yet. In the meantime, the flavor combo of Franks Red Hot and Miyokos double cream chive non-dairy spread is my new favorite thing, so I wanted to share this simple dish with you.
What Is Tempeh?
First, for all of you who may be wondering what in the world tempeh is, it’s a fermented soy product with much more texture than tofu. The fermentation process means it provides you with probiotics, supporting your gut health, which we know is linked to a variety of benefits. Soy is also a high quality protein making it great for anyone, but especially active individuals post-workout.
While tempeh can actually be eaten without heating, baking it really helps infuse the buffalo sauce flavor and improve the texture for this sandwich.
I’ve enjoyed this at home, on-the-go, and in wrap form on a flight to Phoenix (will recap that soon!). Tim now prepares tempeh most often this way as well. Hope you love it, too!
Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich Recipe (Vegan)
Easy Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich
- 1 8 ounce package tempeh
- 2-3 tbsp hot sauce (I prefer Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2-3 ounces spreadable seasoned cheese or non-dairy cheese (I prefer Miyokos double cream chive)
- 4-6 slices whole grain bread
- sandwich toppings such as red onion, Bibb lettuce and tomato.
- Set oven to 375.
- Slice tempeh into 12-16 strips thin (pictured above).
- Mix hot sauce and oil in a small bowl.
- Spray a baking dish with a nonstick spray or coat with a tsp if oil.
- Place tempeh in baking dish and baste with the hot sauce mixture. You should have some leftover.
- Place in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove this from oven and flip over tempeh. Baste the other side of the pieces with the remaining hot sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Toast your bread and spread one ounce of cheese or non-dairy cheese on half of the slices. Top those with sliced tempeh, onions, lettuce and any preferred toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!