Who’s ready for holiday baking? While I do enjoy decorating holiday cookies, making gingerbread muffins, and trying new festive treats each year, sometimes a recipe that’s a little lower maintenance comes in handy during this hectic season. These vegan chocolate truffles fit the bill with just 7 ingredients and 15 minutes of prep time. Plus, in addition to being vegan, they’re also gluten free, making them a great holiday gift for friends and neighbors with a variety of dietary needs.
Vegan Chocolate Truffle Inspiration
This recipe was originally developed for the 2017 Recipe Redux “Grab A Book & Cook” Challenge. This same challenge was also the inspiration for my Lentil Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Crust, a remake of Bobby Flay’s chicken pot pie from page 216 of the Throwdown cookbook and one of my favorite winter recipes. These decadent yet simple vegan chocolate truffles were another hit, so I’m resharing them for anyone looking for easy dessert recipes to make this winter!
The cookbook where I drew my recipe inspiration from is “The Cancer Fighting Kitchen“. I thankfully do not have cancer or any history of it, but I was given this book after attending a Unite for Her wellness day. I was there seeing all of the resources the non-profit provides to women with breast cancer, so that they can feel support and confidence while going through treatment and having access to free alternative therapies such as acupuncture, CSA shares and, of course, nutrition support. I made several tweaks in my version of these vegan chocolate truffles but if you want the original recipe, it’s in this picture!
Vegan Chocolate Truffle Ingredients
The truffles get all of their sweetness from dates and 85% dark chocolate, and the perfect truffle texture is made possible just with those ingredients and peanuts. I have to say, while I was originally going for a peanut butter chocolate flavor, they wound up just being pure chocolate decadence and the peanut flavor is hardly noticeable even when you look for it.
This vegan chocolate truffle recipe is giving you plenty of antioxidants from the dark chocolate, but also potassium, iron, vitamin E, and mono-unsaturated fats. The unsweetened coconut adds a bit of texture, and a tiny bit of coconut flavor, but more than anything I think it just makes the treat look more seasonal!
In my household we all love a little heat and what better way to bring that than some cayenne, right? If you don’t love the heat, just omit this spice and you’ll still be in awe of this dessert.
Simple Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- 2 oz 85% (or similar) dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp powdered cayenne pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Pour boiling water over chocolate chips in a small bowl and let sit about 30 seconds. Stir with a whisk or small rubber spatula until smooth. If needed, put in microwave for 10 seconds to help with mixing.
- Pulse the peanuts in a food processor until they are well ground, 20-30 seconds. Next, add the dates and pulse about 10 seconds.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the dates and add the vanilla and cayenne.
- Pulse until the mixture forms a large ball (roughly 20 seconds in my standard Cuisinart food processor).
- Pour coconut over a large plate.
- Take just under 1 tablespoon at a time of the truffle mixture and roll it into a ball in your hands. Then, roll in the shredded coconut before placing in a storage container.
- Let sit in the refrigerator 2 hours or more before serving.